Thursday, February 12, 2009

Countdown to work....

First off I'd like to thank Allsion for leaving a nice note after my last post. I was pretty bummed I bailed on Fontana but in the end I knew it was the right thing. I just have to keep plugging away. I have some good goals and I think I may be able to add a few more. I think 2009 will be a good year both on and off the bike!

So I have three days until its time to return to work and for the most part things have gone pretty much how we planned. We moved, I unpacked, set-up the new house, ran a couple of times and got in at least one ride (I'd like to get another this weekend). Other than the flu trampling through the household I have to say the vacation was a success.

Now I just have to dig deep and find the motivation to go back. I honestly don't want to for a number of reason but mostly because I have just been having a blast being domestic, watching the kids and getting in my exercising. Having weekends free have been a blast and if I had weekends free I could race to my hearts content and go on group rides! I know the grass is always greener but man it's like a dream to me. Sleeping in relaxing a bit. Wow I've tasted 'normal' life for the first time in 3 years and it was good!

So I realized the fantasy isn't going to come true so I re looked at goals and set some new ones. I've decided that I'm going to go out and attempt to race this weekend assuming it doesn't just open up and dump. I've gotten wet lube for the chain and will apply it tomorrow. I don't have any expectations (I've only ridden Vail once and that was nearly 2 years ago) I just want to get out and ride with others and see how hard I can push myself.

I did get a really nice road ride in this week. It was cold and I got decked out in my long sleeve Fox jacket and hit the pavement. The jacket is probably way hotter than I needed but it did keep the wind off of me and kept my body temp up so while I was bit sweatier than normal when I got home it was nice to not be shivering while on the bike. I wore the leg warmers which I still think are amazing considering they're just spandex. They work like a charm every time. I ended up pedalling roughly 25 miles according to Google and did it in about 1 hour 40 minutes. Not speedy but it wasn't a bad pace. The first part of the ride was hilly as I stuck to the North of the 15 up in the homes. Lots of steep ups followed by steep downs. I spun over to Railroad Canyon road and down around Lake Elsinore. I ended up on the other side of the Lake and followed Grand Ave all the way back to Clinton Keith. I felt pretty good for most of the ride. The backside was a bit sore as I've only been doing about 60 minutes in the saddle and had an extended down time due to the move. Today I'm a bit sore but not to bad! Here are some pics...





Check out the spokes on the first picture. I'm really hoping that's just an optical illusion and not the state of my spokes (they feel pretty normal right now). As you'll see I rode with an iPod for only the second time in several years. I have a small shuffle and it was nice to have a little music to keep the mind off the pain. It was a bit weird to not 'hear' the bike working but it was a nice distraction. Unfortunately the battery died half way through. I think I'll be using it again.

In other news I got a really pretty decent run in last Sunday. It's a nice loop that goes around the area I live. To be precise it climbs part of Nutmeg which is far steeper when you run it than when you drive it! I'm horrible with figuring grades and have no fancy Garmin to tell me that altitude change but I'm guessing a 10% grade over a mile or so. (Anyone know the grade of Nutmeg in Murrieta?) I ran through the rain and a run I thought was 4 miles in 55 minutes turned out to be 5 miles when I clocked it in my car. Im not fast by any stretch of the imagination but I'm pretty stoked none-the-less!

Well I'll be watching the weather reports closely for the next day or so. I really hope Saturday stays at least semi-clear. I do feel some butterfly's as there aren't any people I know racing at the Racers and Chasers. I have a feeling that its going to be easy to come up with an excuse not to go! lol.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

talk about cold! tonight we rode up into the snow covered land of main divide via ITT. COLD! climbing was okay, but descending hit us with a double whammy of COLD and BUMPY (shoulder didn't like the bumpy AT ALL!) keep on keeping on!