Monday, February 2, 2009

And the flu rips through the family...

Man what a couple of rough days! So last week was a horrible week from a workout P.O.V.! I got out on the bike on Monday and I got a run in on Sunday morning. In between all of that I packed and moved the family! We are now living in a nice 3 bedroom apartment about 10 miles of where we were living. Losing the house is a drag but I have to say that this new place is...well...new! The mobile we left was 23 years old and showing it (one of the reasons we were forced to leave it), this new place is only 8 months old and has the feel of a real house. It's only about 300 sqft smaller and we're saving a bundle of money a month. This is going to sound bad but since making the decision to move about 4 weeks ago we've not argued over money so I guess that's something. It is an amazing thing to go from barely keeping your head above water to hving that water lap at your waist. Our credit rating is going to suck but the immediate financial situation is really awesome.
So on top of moving we had the Flu come ripping through the family. First one daughter, than my son and then my wife. I started feeling it on Thursday before we were scheduled to move and I just got the mindset that I refused to get sick....and it worked...for a time! My stomach hurt like the dickens on the day of the move (saturday) but by the end of the day I felt pretty good. Sunday morning I woke up in the new place feeling great. I was stoked...I had dodged the flu. To celebrate and start this new chapter in our lives off right I dressed in my running gear and went out to see what was in the area to run on.
I'd run near the new place once or twice (the gym is down the street) so I had an idea of where to go. I hit a decent pace and was feeling pretty good. I didn't spot any real good mtn bike stuff so I was a little bummed but with the Santa Rosa Plateau just up the street about 10 miles I'll just be loadin' the bike in the truck a lot more. So I finished my run (3ish miles in around 45 minutes) and felt really good. That is, I felt good for an hour or so, then my stomach started doing flips. total sour stomach indigestion feeling. I felt weak and the stomach discomfort last all day...right up until aroun 10pm and then I spent the night in the restroom! Whew it's been a rough 20 hours or so.
I have two weeks left of vacation and I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll be able to get a ride in. I don't know how long to lay off the riding/running but I'm figuring a good two to three days after my symptoms subside. I'm feeling a bit better but not even close to 100% more like 40%. (which is better than last night when I didn't think morning was going to get here!)
Well enough of my sad story. I'm going to go surf blogs to get a taste of riding at least. ;-) Take care and keep the rubber side down.

No comments: