Wednesday, January 28, 2009

hmmmm...part 2!!!

I just finished an email on training that has me really thinking hard about where I want to take my mtn biking. On the one hand I would really like to be the in-shape race guy who rides 5 days of the week and can just hammer the crap out of anyone who dares ride with me (I said can not would! lol). On the other hand I'm not sure if I have the energy to do this on a regular basis. I think I'm using my kids as an excuse to keep from really getting into the training thing. This might be legit and it might not be. I feel that I must really persue this line of thinking over the next few days.
Another idea that the email brought mind is, if I train...what am I training for? I really can't race the way the average person does because getting the time off is not always a possibility. I work weekends and weekends are when the races are. Last year I made four races at Southridge and I'm finding out from this year that that may have been a fluke. Right now I'm looking at racing the next Southridge race and then not race again until November. So are my own personal goals enough to keep me going? Are goals like riding 36 miles on my birthday enough to keep me pushing. Can little goals replace the milestones and deadlines of a race? This is an interesting question to me and one I've been pondering since I read the email.



These were two pretty cool moments (finishing my first race ever and making the podium...even if it was next to the podium on the last race of the year) last year and I'm wondering if completing my first 100 miler (on road bike or mtn bike) will feel quite the same?

2 comments:

Pedal Circles said...

IMO you can "train" just to ride. You can set goals for yourself (climb ITT in less than 90 minutes, ride consistently 15 hours a month, be able to climb SJT from bottom to Cocktail with only breaks for dabs - no stopping to rest), etc. It doesn't have to be "podium at x number of US Cup races, race 5 times this year" etc.

Riding 6-7 days a week isn't possible for everyone. For some people it's life, for some it's just not feasible.

Unless you're getting paid (and very very few people do) just make sure you are having fun!

jaltevers said...

Thank you for the support and after much personal debate during the past day I'm starting to agree. I think the key is to not over do it! Realistic but challenging goals and not out there crazy goals seem to be the key.