Saturday, February 7, 2009

One goal missed....

Well as I sit here I'm feeling a bit depressed. I had told myself that I was going to race the Southridge winter series again this year but by mid-November I realized that this wasn't going to happen. Between financial tightness and a more restrictive work schedule this year I re-imagined my goal and was resigned to race just one, maybe two, of the races. As the race #3 passes me by today and really no real chance of making races #4 or 5 I realized that it sucks to let yourself miss a goal. It's like breaking a promise to yourself and it feels like a kick in the gut! I of course have my excuses for missing today's race and they are (in no particular order; 1.) Rain, 2.) Recovering from the flu,3.)Spending a rare weekend off w/family, and finally 4.)Unpacking from the move! They are legitimate excuses but I really wanted to race. Waking up to semi-sunny skies didn't help. To be honest though I ran yesterday for 40 minutes and for about 4 hours after felt a little...off. Not sick per se but, honestly, not great.

So now I am determined to make the Racers & Chasers XC race out at Vail next weekend. I just saw that WeatherChannels long range forecast calls for rain but I think I'm gonna race regardless. It's not quite the original goal but it'll be a new experience for sure. With that race over I'll concentrate on getting the DVL ride in so I can get an idea of where I stand on speed/strength/stamina. I'd really like to do the 22 mile fairly level trail in two hours. I did it two years ago on the Bullit (built up for AM riding) in just over two hours in the dead of summer.
The yellow Bullit!

Most of the parts on this frame are on the Chameleon now.

From there my goal is to do 36 miles on the Mtn Bike in March. I'm also seriously thinking of doing the June 12 hour event at Vail. We'll see.

So packing is almost done. The upside of the rainy weather and not racing is that I've been able to really dig in and get stuff unpacked and set up. The video game consoles are all plugged in and the DVD's are all out. The only really important item, besides my collectibles, at the old house is the road bike. Monday I should be getting that!

Boxes...Boxes...everywhere I look I see boxes!!!!!!



Hahaha it's not quite as bad as the pics make it look but it's close. Most of the boxes are narrowed down to one room and the rest of the house is pretty clear. We found out that we probably didn't need to move for about 3 to 4 more months. We could've saved a butt load of money but man since moving to the new place I feel like a huge weight has been taken off my shoulders. I'll take this feeling freedom and contentment over the extra money we could've saved any day of the week!

2 comments:

Pedal Circles said...

Sometimes life gets in the way!

jaltevers said...

Yes it does! I guess you just have to take it in stride and keep plugging away.