Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's over....

Well this is it; the last night of my vacation. Tomorrow it's back to the grind, I've tried my best to get my wife to not make me go back but it hasn't worked. I've tried it all, cleaned house, done ALL of the laundry (and I hate laundry) but to no avail she won't let me quit! lol. So tomorrow at 1:30pm it's back to the daily politics that is my job. The job is great but the drama surrounding it is really not any fun and I'm not looking forward to getting bogged down in it. Still I must look on the bright side; we have a new place, a new sense of purpose, a new semester, and a slight change in my outlook on life. Perhaps, if I'm lucky, I will be able to sluff off the political drama and just Be. I like to think it'll work.

That is enough of that. It's to depressing and I try to keep this blog a bit more upbeat and positive. I do feel like for the most part the vacation was a success. As mentioned above we got the move 90% completed. I got in 4 runs and 3 rides during the vacation so I feel like I did pretty decent. The flu really kicked our butts and I probably could've gotten 1 more ride in if I didn't come down with it but I'm really not complaining.

I didn't race at all, I have my excuses (and I think they're decent ones) but in the end it just didn't happen. A little bummed about that but I'm not going to beat myself up for it. I have a few key goal rides coming up and I'm looking forward to nailing those. My last two rides though have been great. The 25 miler was awesome and I got in a 17 miler on Saturday morning. It'll be nice when it dries out a bit and I get on the FSR.

I'm feeling pretty strong on the runs right now and I got in a nice 5 miler. The longest since I returned to running. I'm definitely going to be on the road more than when we lived in the Farm so I've started setting a bit of money aside for some road shoes. I'd like to get in a 10 miler before the end of March, we'll see. I have had a bit of knee pain so I don't want to get to crazy with that.

Speaking of knee pain I think in the next week or two I'll be developing a short resistance training regime to do twice a week to try and strengthen both the muscles around the knee and my core so that both the biking and the running will be a bit easier. I don't like any sort of knee discomfort and will do everything I can to prevent it. This is leading me to re-examine the food I'm taking in as well. I don't like some of it and I need some healthier snacks to get me through the day. I'm going to look into buying a blender so that I can blend of some smoothies. They seem like a nice change from Clif Bars and Triscuits & Cheese.

So all in all I went into the vacation stressed and unhappy. I feel like I'm leaving the vacation refreshed and in a new place in life. I think I like it. I've got a nice routine down....now I'll just have to see how things pan out with work added to the mix! It should be fun!

Thanks for reading and as always keep the rubber side down.

No comments: