Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What's a Brick??

Wel I'm gld you asked, a Brick is Triatholonese for a run/bike sesssion one after the other. Why do I know this???? Well one of my long term goals (very long term right now) is to complete a Tri. I think it would be fun and would really push me. So today I tried it out. I started with a 17 mile ride that hit some of the bigger hills in the area. I rode down Clinton Kieth (from Santa Rosa) over to Nutmeg and then up Nutmeg to Clinton Kieth I just reversed course after this. The rides up the two hills were good ones with Clinton Kieth being the most difficult. I did my best to keep the speed up but the Allez is really not set-up for climbing like it could be. I suppose though that this is alright since it means I really have to push the big gear. I did this ride in 1 hour and 10 minutes which wasn't bad with the climbing involved.

After the ride I changed into a new shirt and ran the Adobe trail in the reserve. This is a 4.4 mile loop that is fairly flat. I just purchased new trail running shoes and would you believe I forgot to change into them!!!! Yep I ended up running in my old Nikes that I use for everything. They actually held up pretty well and I suffered no knee issues although I did nearly role my ankle at one point. I do thing I may need to invest in a little hip sack to hold my cell phone and or keys or perhaps a snack as I plan on pushing my running a bit more after the Southridge Winter Series. All in all I felt pretty good and finished the run in 40 minutes which brings down my mile time to about 9 minutes. I am really stoked about that. Another two minutes and I'll be happy....that means more intervals!!!!!! Now the only thing left to complete a Tri (besides losing about 20 more pounds!!!!!! To get to 185pounds...as if) is to work on my swimming. Whew I wonder when that might happen! For now I'll concentrate on running and my riding...more riding....

I had two BBQ Chicken Sandwiches at Carl's Jr. with Kelly and then came home, surfed STR (how odd) and then was inspired by 2Wheelee to take the Chameleon out. I kept the seat lowered went down a little dirt road and threw together a couple of jumps and what amounted to a wall ride. It was pretty fun and got my hear rate up and exercised some muscles I'm not used to using. I'm really thinking of running the 4x race on the 26th instead of the Super D.

I think that about sums up my one day off this week. Roughly three hours of exercise for the day and besides the Carls' Jr. not a bad eating day. I'm stoked and pleasantly tired. With the boss coming back into work tomorrow I'll need all the rest, relaxation and happy memories of running/riding I can get tomorrow!

'till I write again, keep the rubber side down!

No comments: