Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I tried....I really did...

I went for a good hard run on Monday morning that included, for the first time, two 60 second hill sprints. They were tough but fun, however I was really feeling the amount of running/riding I had been doing the previous week and knew my body needed a couple of days off. So I told myself that on Tuesday and Wednesday I'd take it easy by staying away from excercise...btw i also did some gym work on Monday after the run (45 minutes worth).

Well I did okay Tuesday but today I just couldn't take it. I was pacing around the house which inevitably led to getting on the internet which in turn landed me here at my blog which then led to all of the mtn bike blogs I've saved. So there I sat waiting for a lunch date with my wife to arrive. That was fun as always but then I was faced with two hours of more waiting (for the girls to get out of school) soooooo I couldn't take it anymore and hopped on the Heckler.

What was suppose to be a nice easy 45 minutes of so of spinning turned into 90 minutes of riding some unknown and not always there trails that was 50% bushwacking. Thank goodness for the toughness of the Heckler. It was a pretty cool ride, with a few hike-a-bike sections since there really wasn't a trail. I had been debating on whether or not to ride the Chameleon but I'm glad I stuck with the Heckler for this one.

All of this leads me to wonder though how people like Mary at Siren bikes and her friends can ride for 8 hours! My max is probably 2 hours although I've never pushed myself past that since most of the time I either don't have the time or don't know how to link that much dirt in this area. I think it'd be epic and totally awesome to be able to do that and am wondering how to start even thinking about that. Neither of my bikes though could be considered 8 hour ready though. The Heckler perhaps but I was looking at the pictures from Mary's last blog and a couple of them are riding FULLY rigid bikes!!!!! Makes me feel like a total wuss. lol

So now I'm wondering what it'd take to get a bike that could be ridden like that. A true XC bike that I could use to eventually ride for 8 hours or....better yet...ride in a 12 hour or 24 hour event either as a team or solo. I'm really thinking that next year i could probably get the weekend off to ride in the last 12 hours of Temecula series. That would be pretty awesome and give me a goal to start working towards. My Grand Canyon trip would be my first epic little adventure in April followed by training for the 12 hours of Temecula. hmmmm That's a pretty good idea.

Well I have children to pick up so I'm off. I need to get a lighter camera than my digital Rebel so I can some shots of my rides and really spruce up my blog a bit with pictures. Take care all and keep the rubber side down!

No comments: