Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Two Rides in Two Days...

So with Thanksgiving coming up and only two days off i figured my time for riding would be a bit cut back so I decided to give two decent rides in two days shot. Yesterday I took the road bike out. I packed up for work, dropped the kids off at the sitters and hit the road. I rode for about 10 minutes shy of two hours at about a 15 mile an hour pace. I started out at the Barnes and Noble in Temecula, went down Winchester to Nicholas to Medusa and then left on a street I don't know the name of which got me all the way around to DePortolla. I took Deportolla instead of the 79 because there only stop signs (I feel less guilty about running stop signs) and not stop lights. I did eventually swing down to the 79 and then onto Old Town. I took Jefferson all the way down to Murrietta Hot Springs up over Hot Springs to Margarita and then back to Barnes and Noble. It was a good ride that really got me in a good mood for my 8 hours at the park. I can't believe how good it feels to ride and am really stoked that I found road riding. It really is more fun than I originally thought and has boosted my overall fitness ten fold.

So my second ride was this morning and was a 65 minute mountain bike ride on my Heckler. I've been sort of jonesing for a new XC ride but I am totally in love with that Heckler. It just rocks, it'll ride over just about anything. I am taking some advice from a couple of the British Mountain Bike mags and making some small tweaks just to see what happens. I played with one of the controls on the Fox front fork and I think for my next ride I'm going to move the saddle forward about 1/4" or so. I felt like I was riding on the nose of the saddle. Anyways, this ride was a variation of what most of the locals call the Nursery Ride in Murrieta. I don't really do the traditional version 'cause I'm riding it from the Farm in Wildomar. There's a couple of really good climbs on this side of the ride and a couple of pretty fun gentle downhill runs. I've done this ride a bit faster in the past but considering I rode for nearly two hours yesterday I think I did pretty good.

So besides being a bit saddle sore I'm feeling pretty good. I close again tonight at the park and I'm sure I'll hit a wall at about 9:00 it is Friday for me so I just have to push on till 10 and get the heck out for a nice weekend of family.

In other news (still mtn bike news though) I'm really stoked about finding some great on-line communities and the possibility of hooking up with some other riders from the area. There may be a ride on Dec. 5th but I'm not sure if my fitness and skill level will let me ride with them and another guy wants to ride over at Vail to show me around which would be great. Unfortunately, he wanted to ride this week but my 'weekend' is full with a trip to the parents place and a promised day of family togetherness on Thursday (I'm not complaining though since we are NEVER home together for an entire day!)

Alright well this has been going on for long enough. I've gotta get dressed for work. Take care all. I'll post some pictures of my rides as soon as I have a bit o' time. Keep on Keepin' On.

2 comments:

Mary Collier said...

Aint the holidays great! Extra riding is why we have days off work. I got in a nice little ride today and will be doing it again tomorrow, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!

Sounds like you got the best of both worlds today.

jaltevers said...

You bet. I've always been blown away by how an hour two on a bike can totally make my whole day better. Heck I've had a ride or two make several days better.